Turkmenistan sent nine athletes to the Tokyo Olympics, who represent four sports nominations - judo, swimming, athletics and weightlifting.
The largest representation is in weightlifting, five weightlifters at once defend the honor of the country in Japan. One of them is a student of the Turkmen State Institute of Physical Culture and Sports - Polina Guryeva.
The master of sports from Ashgabat won a silver medal in the weight category up to 59 kg. For Turkmenistan, this is the first award for the entire time of participation in the Olympic competitions. The final result of the Turkmen weightlifter is 217 kg (121 in the jerk and 96 in the snatch).
After announcement of results, ORIENT decided to talk to Polina's mother- Svetlana. She told us about her first emotions and Polina's promise to come back with a medal.
About first impressions
– Emotions are overwhelming! She has won such a special medal, such a long-awaited award. We can say that this is a gift to the Motherland on Independence Day, - says Svetlana.
– I followed the results on the Internet, when I realized I was just shocked! I told my neighbors and friends right away- it is impossible to keep such joy in yourself. At that moment my son was next to me - Polina's elder brother, he is also very happy for her!
"Mom, the medal will be mine"
– Did you expect that Polina would take such a prestigious place at the Games?
– Yes, sure. She herself told me so before leaving: Mom, I won't come without a medal! The medal will be mine! And she did it! You can't even imagine what happiness, pride and many other emotions I have now!
Svetlana said that she has not yet personally communicated with Polina and she wants to convey that she is very proud of her.
– I'm so proud of you, Polina! Words cannot convey my feelings. I would like to wish you success, good luck and health! And to go to the next Olympics and win another medal!